"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take away everything you have."

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day



UPDATE FROM NATEDAWG:

I participated in Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day by buying from Chick-Fil-A for breakfast and dinner yesterday.  There was already a small line at 6:30 am when I went through the drive-through for a breakfast burrito.  Dinner was a different story though.  I got there around 6:00 pm and the drive-through line was wrapped all the way around the building across the parking lot and out onto the main road.  I had to drive to the other end of the strip mall area to avoid traffic and find a parking spot.  The line of people waiting to order stretched all the way to the outside door, and the entire counter area was swarming with people waiting for their food.  It was definitely a ethnic microcosm of my county  -- whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians.  The employees were working hard and being very efficient but it was hard for them to keep up.  I waited about 10 minutes to order and another 45 minutes or so for my food to come.  Despite the crowds and the wait time I saw no employees or customers being hateful or disagreeable.  It was pretty obvious why we were all there waiting an hour for a chicken sandwich, even though no one really said it in so many words.  We were there to make a statement in support of free speech and Chick-Fil-A, and for many of us (not all), traditional marriage as well.

Apparently, this exact scenario was played out all around the company, judging from these reports and photos.  It is especially ironic how long the lines were at Chick-Fil-A locations near Boston and Chicago, two of the cities whose mayors attacked the restaurant chain.  The Daily Mail link in particular plays up the protests, but I suspect they were few and far between and pretty sparsely attended.  I live in a very liberal area and I saw no protests at all at my Chick-Fil-A.  Gay rights activists have scheduled a "kiss-in" at Chick-Fil-A locations nationwide on Friday, so maybe that will be a different story.  But I doubt they will come anywhere near matching the turnout in favor of Chick-Fil-A yesterday.

No comments: